All Saints, Dunsby
The Church of All Saints is a Grade 1 listed building believed to date from the 12th century. The church has carillon type bells which are rung by our stalwart bell ringers before services and comprise a peel of 8 Hannington chimes donated in 1891. The organ is a restored Henry Bevington & Sons instrument built in the 1880’s and restored and installed into our church in 2017, purchased with the help of fund raising and grants. It has a pleasing appearance and an attractive tone.
The church provides a focal point for the village with a small regular congregation at its regular twice-monthly Sunday services, and with more people attending at Easter, Harvest Festival and Remembrance Sunday. The Carols By Candlelight service on Christmas Eve is always very popular and very well supported.
The village hall provides an ideal venue for social activities. Fundraising functions for both the village hall and the church, through suppers, film nights and teas, are well attended.
As well as the regular worshippers, others in the village generously offer help and contributions for social events and services. An example of the village pulling together is the annual litter pick – where tabards are donned and forks primed – to pick up detritus from the roadside all the way from the A15 to the other side of the village. It is good for the soul and everyone feels better!
A versatile choir – The Wednesday Singers – hold their practices frequently; they raise funds for the church and other good causes and are often asked to sing at weddings. It’s not a church choir but it is run by the church organist.